MORE THAN JUST BREAKING SWEAT:
From the worship of the gods, to the prurient pursuits in the circuses and amphitheatres in ancient Rome, to the Olympian days when it was just enough to take part in a bruising marathon race and be rewarded with a mere frond, sports as we know it today has transformed to, among many other things, a big money-making machine.
THE FOOTBALL PERSPECTIVE:
• Combination of talent, youth, passion, emotion, fans and money
• It is a universal language
• A weapon for war and diplomacy
In view of the broad character of the subject of sports, I have decided to centre this presentation on the management of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), also now known as the Glo Premier League, by the League Management Company Ltd (LMC). This is for the following reasons.
• The NPFL is currently undergoing structural and administrative reforms that I judge to be, not just relevant to the topic at hand, but quite embody the subject as well.
• These reforms derive their relevance to the business at hand on account of their contemporaneity and thus provide me ongoing practical experience to address the topic.