To All Nigerians (especially football lovers, football administrators, Football Club promoters, sponsors and potential sponsors of the Nigeria Professional Football League).
Subsequent to my several press interviews in recent days, I find it necessary to present this communiqué as a forum to consolidate and also provide an update of the workings of the League Management Committee for the benefit of all football stakeholders.
On the 27th of December, 2012, the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) in exercise of its statutory powers set up the League Management Committee, to ‘rescue’ professional league football. At its inauguration by Alhaji Aminu Maigari, President of the NFA, the Committee was charged with the following terms of reference:
- organize the 2012/2013 league season;
- review all contractual obligations of the Nigeria Premier League, including TV and sponsorship rights;
- review existing rules and guidelines for the election into Nigeria Premier League Board;
- develop new standards for players contracts and welfare;
- develop strategy and facilitate the reform of the league towards achieving profitability; and
- any other relevant matters the Committee may deem necessary.
This committee of eminent Nigerians volunteered for this assignment, motivated by nothing more than patriotism and a desire to revive a moribund local football league mired in litigation, insolvency and administered in a manner that was opaque and inefficient. In the discharge of its mandate as an interim task-force, the League Management Committee wishes to publicly acknowledge the immense assistance and cooperation of the NFA President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari and the good offices of the Honourable Minister of Sports, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi.